[wplug] If I were a Linux consultant...

Lance Tost ltost at pobox.com
Thu Sep 18 16:12:30 EDT 2003

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, Alex Birch wrote:
> I would say that what people understand == goodness. If they're accustomed
> to do things in a double click interface, let them do it that way. Why not
> decrease the learning curve for the people who don't care about OS's.
> Until that occurs, Windows will not be dethroned.

Hmmmm... I have stuff on my Redhat desktop that I can double-click.  I
also have stuff in menus that I can run (simliar to Windows).  I fail to
see your point.

However, a better question might be this:  How do you explain MS's
continued success on the desktop with their recent change that starts
programs from desktop icons using a single click rather than a double
click (in WinXP anyway)?  Sure you can still go into your settings to go
back to the "old fashioned" double click method... but does the average
user know this?  I wonder why they didn't switch to Linux when
applications started opening after a single click.... hrmmmm...  Oh wait,
I think I know why people adjusted and continued using Windows... they
could still use MS Office and play their games!

--
Lance Tost <ltost at pobox.com>