[wplug] If I were a Linux consultant...

Lance Tost ltost at pobox.com
Thu Sep 18 16:06:03 EDT 2003

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, Alex Birch wrote:
> I've read many books on GNU/Linux and it's been my _ONLY_ OS for the past
> 3 years.
>
> It's just done some of these things to help chemist do chemistry and not
> worry about GNU/Linux.

Eh?  I don't follow.  If you've used it solely for three years, you should
be comfortable with the filesystem structure.  If not, as others said, go
ahead and create your sym links but don't expect to find them on any other
system.

> Until Linux becomes a little bit more user friendly, Windoze will dominate
> the desk top.

Or until people become less fixated on MS Office compatibility.  This may
just be when hell freezes over too.  My wife and daughter (windows users)
could care less if they're using Windows or Linux... until it comes time
to do some work in Excel, or Word... or until my daughter tries to play
her latest Harry Potter game.  Steps have been made to remedy this but I
don't know if OpenOffice or StarOffice will every be fully, 100%,
compatible with MS Office.  If there's the slightest chance that my
wife's boss won't be able to properly open her spreadsheet, she doesn't
want to risk using OpenOffice (understandably).

BTW, are you familiar with Sun's latest attempt at putting Linux on the
desktop?  http://wwws.sun.com/software/learnabout/desktopsystem/index.html

I hope they have some success but Sun has failed miserably in this
department in the past so I'm not holding my breath.

--
Lance Tost <ltost at pobox.com>