[wplug] If I were a Linux consultant...

Alex Birch kes at lifesabirch.org
Thu Sep 18 15:56:51 EDT 2003

> 	But it's not a simple single-sided equation - as long as users are
> dumb-@$$es there will never be an OS that's a panacea.  It's SURE not
> Windoze, it's not Linux, and it's not OS-X.  You just can't take complex
> functionality and turn it into a single "Click Here Moron" application and
> maintain a system that represents some end-user configurability /
> flexibility.  You can't make a computer OS a toaster.
Simplicity is genius.

> 	Your assertion above (aside from being obvious flamebait) would lead
> one to believe that prevalence = goodness.
I would say that what people understand == goodness. If they're accustomed
to do things in a double click interface, let them do it that way. Why not
decrease the learning curve for the people who don't care about OS's.
Until that occurs, Windows will not be dethroned.

> The Linux desktop has matured more in 3 years that Windoze has in 15 -
> sooner or later the scale will tip - in fact, the blip in popularity of
> OS-X proves that out....  EVERY
I agree... it's just a state function. Once Linux is made nice for the
users, they can switch easily I think M$ is going to lose the race.

> Windoze
> user I know has had it with Windoze following the recent (and ongoing)
> worm issues (including my employers IT staff).  Lots of the are looking at
> alternatives.
I'd like to know how many of them will go to GNU/Linux.

Cheers,
Alex