[wplug] If I were a Linux consultant...

Alex Birch kes at lifesabirch.org
Thu Sep 18 13:46:03 EDT 2003

> Why don't you email her a script and have her save it to her desktop?
Not to be pissy, but I clearly stated the problem was "to walk her through
using ifdown eth0 && ifup eth0 to re-establish and internet connection."

> You could name it "Reset the internet connection".
She would have had to go to another person's house and print it off then
I'd have to explain how to type that in and do chmod 0755. I though it was
simple enough just to do:
su -
ifdown eth0 && ifup eth0

but then su in red hat 8.0 didn't add the right path.

Why doesn't linux do what OS X does and automatically connect when there
is an internet connection?

OS X also allows people to double click on something and it'll open. I'm
not sure how to associate zip files with ark for her on KDE.

I'm just saying that linux has a long way to go before it's end user
friendly.

(One other pet peeve) Why not do the following:

ln -s /dev /hardware
ln -s /home /users
ln -s /bin /system-programs
ln -s /usr/bin /user/programs