[wplug] add users via scripts

Bob Schmertz rschmertz at speakeasy.net
Thu Sep 18 01:57:38 EDT 2003

Chris incurred the wrath of Bob on Sep 17, by saying

>I know that is going to sound bad, but I can't think of any better
>solutions.  I want to be able to add users to the system via a php page.
>The problem that I am running into is how do I call/usr/sbin/useradd without
>added the user "apache" to the root group.  Is it possible without leaving
>the system wide open?

One possibility would be to run another instance of Apache (or another
Web browser?) on a different port, running that one as root.  I'm not
too knowledgeable about security, so I don't really know how that would
necessarily be more secure than running your main Apache as root, but at
least you could run it with a different conf file that only loads the
bare minimum modules, for example.

--
Cheers,
Bob Schmertz