[wplug] If I were a Linux consultant...

Elwin Green bekitemba2002 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 18 00:12:50 EDT 2003

I would...

1 - read everything I could about how local
governments are using Linux to achieve greater cost
efficiencies (start by Googling linux+largo - that
would be Largo, FL "the city of progress")

2 - Find out how much the city of Pittsburgh is
spending on IT, and what hardware and software they
deploy throughout their operations.

3 - Find as many Linux-based alternatives as I could
for their proprietary software in use.

4 - Compute a preliminary estimate for how much the
City could save by using those alternatives.

5 - Send a letter to Tom Murphy, with copies to each
person on city council saying, in effect, "Here's how
much you might save by deploying different software.
If you're interested, I'll be glad to present a
detailed proposal."

Then, if a proposal is requested, I'd do one. If they
say we're already looking at open source solutions,
I'd say, good for you. And if they disregarded the
letter entirely, I'd

6 - Send copies of the letter to the post-gazette, the
trib, and the major tv stations.

Sigh.

Wish I wuz a Linux consultant, 'stead of a newbie...

E.