[wplug] mail alert popups

Jonathan S. Billings billings at negate.org
Tue Sep 16 10:41:19 EDT 2003

I actually use zephyr when I'm at work, but I started writing a Jabber
notification tool that does this very thing.  It basically takes a
couple lines from the top of the email, filters out any text that was
in a reply (after a >), and sends it to my jabber identiity.  That way,
anywhere I'm subscribed to Jabber service, I see when i get new mail.
I was thinking of writing a custom client that subscribes to Jabber and
displays the notification too, since gaim is kind of annoying.

The nice thing about the Jabber service is it is XML-centric, so
encapsulating data is a breeze, and there are APIs for the service in
nearly every language.

Of course, this probably doesn't help you find a tool, but at least you
know what I have in mind in building my own.