[wplug] Web Directory Group ownership

Gentgeen gentgeen at linuxmail.org
Mon Sep 15 20:59:38 EDT 2003

First, I know that a user can belong to more then one group, but my question is can a directory (or file for that matter) belong to more then one group?

The reason I ask, is that I want to allow a user (me) to read/write files in the Web directory and subdirectories.  I am use the Redhat file structure on my webserver:
	/var/www/
	/var/www/cgi-bin
	/var/www/html   (this is apache's DocRoot)
	/var/www/images (this is my one Alias, like the cgi-bin folder)

Should I just add a new group (say foo) then do a 'chgrp -R foo /var/www' and then add my Web Admin (me) to the foo group - or is there a better (read - more correct) way to accomplish the same thing?