[wplug] chmod and windows partition

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Mon Sep 15 15:56:29 EDT 2003

Sometime in September Russ Schneider assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| Lance Tost wrote:
|
| >mount -o uid=<your uid>,umask=077 /dev/<whatever> /mnt/windows
|
| Alright, don't hate me, but I need a little more than that.
|
| What does the above do exactly?
|
| Is this something I should add to /etc/fstab or run from command?

the fstab entry would look something like:
/dev/hdsomething  /mnt/windows    vfat  umask=077,uid=<your uid>,rw 0 0

the uid is the user id of root, and the umask contains the permissions of
the mount point in octal form (see the manpage for mount). i'm not really
sure about the 077 thing. i would think that would turn off read, write and
execute permissions for the user but turn them on for the group and the
world. i think what you want here is 770.

the first number represents the permissions for the user, the second has
the permissions for the group and the last are the world permissions.

to get the permissions add the numbers you want:

read:    2^0  -> 1
write:   2^1  -> 2
execute: 2^2  -> 4

so to give the user read write and execute, the group read, write, and
execute, and the world nothing:

user:   r,w,x  = 1+2+4 = 7
group:  r,w,x  = 1+2+4 = 7
world:  r,w,x  = 0     = 0

you get 770

so to give the user read write and execute, the group read and
execute, and the world read only:

user:   r,w,x  = 1+2+4 = 7
group:  r,x    = 1+4   = 5
world:  r      = 1     = 1

so you get 751

does that help?

                                               | /"\
 john harrold                                  | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
      jmh at member.fsf.org                    |  X  against HTML mail
           the most useful idiot               | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless,
 whether the mad destruction is brought under the name of totalitarianism or
 the holy name of liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E