[wplug] chmod and windows partition

Lance Tost ltost at pobox.com
Mon Sep 15 15:36:04 EDT 2003

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003, Russ Schneider wrote:
> > mount -o uid=<your uid>,umask=077 /dev/<whatever> /mnt/windows
>
> Alright, don't hate me, but I need a little more than that.

rtfm!

> What does the above do exactly?

Mounts the filesystem and makes it owned by <uid>.  The umask option gives
no permissions to "group" and "other".

> Is this something I should add to /etc/fstab or run from command?

The above is what you run once from the command line to make sure it
works.  When satisfied, put the corresponding entry in /etc/fstab.
Probably something like:

/dev/hdb1  /mnt/windows  vfat  uid=<your uid>,gid=<your gid>,umask=077 0 0

Note I added gid= ... you should too.  Also, you can add ,user after
umask=077 to allow normal users to mount the fs.  This should be
relatively safe since it will get mounted as accessible by you only.

--
Lance Tost <ltost at pobox.com>