[wplug] Logging into a headless system

Alexandros Papadopoulos apapadop at cmu.edu
Sun Sep 14 10:12:38 EDT 2003

On Sunday 14 September 2003 09:24, Gentgeen wrote:
<snip>
> Right now security is not an issue since everything is behind a
> firewall.
*cough*

> So my two questions are, (1) Any opinions on 'the best way' to logon
> to the 'kingpin'.

The obvious way is SSH. If you set up host-based authentication, even
better (you won't have to supply a password every time)

>   (2) isn't there a way I could run X on 'kingpin'
> but have is displayed on my desktop (named linuxbox) box?

On kingpin, startx -- 10.0.0.1:1
(where 10.0.0.1 is linuxbox's IP) might do the job - I've never tried
it.

> I think it would be really cool if I could have something like
> CTRL+ALT+ F1 - linuxbox terminal
> 	F2 - kingpin terminal

In /etc/inittab you could have an entry like
2:2345:respawn:/usr/bin/ssh me at kingpin

Again, speculating - haven't tried it. Otherwise just open an SSH
session and leave it there :-P

> 	F7 - linuxbox X display

Provided for free.

> 	F8 - kingpin X display

If the previous idea doesn't work, you can do a workaround with VNC that
will certainly work.
On linuxbox, from any tty:
startx -- :1
(now you have a second X session running on tty8)
From that session, do a fullscreen vnc to kingpin, and you're there :-)

Terribly crude solution, but unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity
of launching an X server and connecting it directly to a remote tty.

-A
--
http://andrew.cmu.edu/~apapadop/pub_key.asc
3DAD 8435 DB52 F17B 640F  D78C 8260 0CC1 0B75 8265