[wplug] Logging into a headless system

Gentgeen gentgeen at linuxmail.org
Sun Sep 14 09:24:28 EDT 2003

I have set up a box (named kingpin) at my house as a way to learn various server based things (dhcp, dns, ftp, http, printer, etc).  Since the wife does not want anymore computer's in the house I have set it up as headless (no monitor, keyboard, mouse), it just sits quietly under the desk.

Right now security is not an issue since everything is behind a firewall.  Although once I can get rid of CompuServe, I plan on finding a Linux friendly ISP and using that box as my firewall/proxy/etc. I have used slogin, rlogin, telnet, and even VNC so far - the first three all really seem the same.

So my two questions are, (1) Any opinions on 'the best way' to logon to the 'kingpin'.   (2) isn't there a way I could run X on 'kingpin' but have is displayed on my desktop (named linuxbox) box?

I think it would be really cool if I could have something like CTRL+ALT+
	F1 - linuxbox terminal
	F2 - kingpin terminal
	F7 - linuxbox X display
	F8 - kingpin X display
(sorry, don't remember all the 'tty' stuff on that.)