[wplug] Blacklisted IP in mail?

Jason Sopko jason at sopko.net
Sat Sep 13 18:30:14 EDT 2003

begin  Russ Schneider wrote:
> Ok, testing out one machine emailing another, I got the following back
> in an undeliverable mail message:
>
>> <russ at domainname.com>: host mail.domainname.com [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]
>> said: 550 5.7.1
>>     Email rejected: Blacklisted IP a ddress (in reply to MAIL FROM
>> command)

It could be a few things, but I'd look up the mail server's IP that's
trying to send the email that's being rejected in the openrbl
(http://openrbl.org). For example, if you're sending mail from
russ at sugapablo.com it could be getting rejected due to
mail.sugapablo.com [63.251.216.37] being on four blacklists, and the
receiving mail server may be using one of those blacklists for spam
filtering. Of course, that's the primary MX record for your particular
domain and may not even be the mail relay you're using. It could be that
someone on the receiving server manually blacklisted an IP and/or domain
name, too. If you posted the actual IP address or email address or mail
logs from both mail servers, if possible, it would make it a lot easier
to figure out.

///Jason