[wplug] COLLABORATION AS DISTRIBUTED CAPITALISM?

bgtrio at yahoo.com bgtrio at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 9 15:08:50 EDT 2003

Fortunately, the sort of people who wouldn't use free software without a
warranty are not the same people who want to mess with the source.

I think the solution is easy: offer the warranty only on the binaries,
offer different warranties for various sorts of changes.

I think fraud laws would do enough to keep people from attempting to
collect on the warranty on an altered binary.

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003, James O'Kane wrote:

> This one time, at band camp, bgtrio at yahoo.com said:
>
> > It wouldn't really be that hard to offer the EXACT SAME warranty and
> > support offered for Microsoft Windows out of the box and
> > to advertise such,
---SNIP!---
> Since IANAL, I can't say with any backing, but I read something to day
> that brought up the pointabout providing a warranty to something that the
> end-user can change at will. While that's isn't a show-stopper, it's
> something that closed-sourse software doesn't have to worry about as much.
>
> This was the concept that the makers of the IOpener hide behind when they
> started coating their motherboards with epoxy to keep people from modifing
> their product to do something useful.
---SNIP!