[wplug] Free, Public DNS Servers?

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Mon Sep 8 23:09:41 EDT 2003

Sometime in September Russ Schneider assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| Does anyone know of any free, public DNS servers?
|
| I found http://soa.granitecanyon.com/ but their web site (plain text) is
| SO slow, I wonder.

i've used dyndns.org. they do dynamic and static stuff. i've only used
their dynamic stuff though. it works pretty well. my ip address didn't
change once after 30 days and they sent me an email saying that i needed to
refresh it manually or my domain would expire. alternatively i could send
them $10 amd it never would expire. ive been using the service for over 1.5
years at the time so i thought the $10 was worth it. i've been using it
happily for over 3 years now. i have a client program that runs as a
daemon. whenever my ip changes on my linksys router, it changes the dns
entry.

                                               | /"\
 john harrold                                  | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
      jmh at member.fsf.org                    |  X  against HTML mail
           the most useful idiot               | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless,
 whether the mad destruction is brought under the name of totalitarianism or
 the holy name of liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E