[wplug] Hate-on Linux TV ads

redtoade redtoade at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 5 10:39:53 EDT 2003

--- David Ostroske <eksortso at linuxmail.org> wrote:
> But where's the credit that's due? Couldn't they mix
> in some of the
> developers who worked to bring this kid to life?

Hell no.  The biggest problem Linux now faces is
breaking the stranglehold of the entrenched Linux
community.  These are the people who fight
commercialization, standardization and all the other
basic needs for competitive growth at this stage of
the game.

And this commercial seems to reckognize that.  It's
not aimed at anyone who uses Linux.  It's aimed at
those that have to use Microsoft.  It's all about
imagery.  That's marketing.  And this commercial is
going to be EFFECTIVE.  You'll have tons of
non-computer users now associating Linux with a young,
all-absorbing, quickly growing, full of potential (and
maybe even a little dangerous) all-American child.
That's such a better image than a middle aged guy
running around in public in a butterfly outfit.

Frankly, I think using a kid straight from "Children
of the Corn" is ingenious.  And if I'm not mistaken,
that's Penny Marshell.  She lends the same legitimacy
that Jeff Goldblum does with Mac... making Linux seem
hip and trendy.  (Which frankly is nothing like the
true Linux crowd.)

This will be the hardest step I think for the Linux
crowd.  Watching as everything they've sunk their
self-image in is taken on into something bigger.  They
can't do it themselves... they simply don't have the
skills.  Let's see how well they let go.