[wplug] Hate-on Linux TV ads

Jason Sopko jason at sopko.net
Fri Sep 5 08:46:52 EDT 2003

begin  David Ostroske wrote:
> There's a new TV ad campaign by IBM, strictly promoting Linux. It will
> get its start on Sunday during the 1-pm NFL football game.
>
> What do you all think? Am I wrong?

I think that marketing and technology are two entirely different things.
  I don't think I've ever seen a technology commercial that praised the
engineers and thinkers behind the scenes of a product. I mean, the 'Dell
Dude' didn't even work for Dell, and I'm pretty sure that MSN butterfly
guy isn't a Microsoft employee. The sole purpose of spending money on
commercials is to generate more sales leads, and that's it. The new
Linux commercial does a good job of trying to get more people interested
in Linux, and I think it will do a good job of that. To the average
person drinking beer and watching football, it's intriguing, if nothing
else.

///Jason