[wplug] Weird ARP Problem...

mike mikeslists at access995.com
Thu Sep 4 10:30:13 EDT 2003

I'm having a weird problem with a RedHat 9 box that I just setup.  After
awhile the NIC stops responding.  I can bring it back to life by
stopping and starting the network service.

At first we thought it may be a IRQ conflict or APMD problem, but after
ruling that out and playing around with ethereal I discover its an ARP
problem.   I do an arp -n, and it shows the hardware address of my
gateway as incomplete.

I tried manually adding the gateways entry into the table and it shows
as permanant but after a bit, it loses it again and starts its mini
broadcast storm.  Who has 192.168.0.1, tell blah blah blah..  But it
never gets a response from the gateway.

My gateway is a win2k server running NAT.  I tested this by subnetting
my LAN and putting the redhat machine behind another gateway, and it
worked fine..

I don't know if my server isn't understanding the ARP broadcast or what,
but why does it still not work when I manually specify the ARP entry?

Gracias

-Mike