[wplug] UPS with shutdown?

Bryce Lynch bryce at telerama.lm.com
Wed Sep 3 14:15:37 EDT 2003

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003, Russ Schneider wrote:

> Does there exist a UPS (uninteruptable power supply, not the brown guys)
> that will, when the power goes out, send a shutdown -h now signal to
> your machine?

Yes, we had several of them at the last place I worked.  We used APCUPSD
(http://www2.apcupsd.com/) to handle shutdowns after a certain period of
time.  It's even network-aware (the master, hooked up to the UPS, can tell
the slaves to shut down in x minutes..  assuming that your hub/switch is
on the UPS as well).

--
Information security begins with _you_.  Help combat terrorism by encrypting
your communications!  Public key : http://users.telerama.com/~bryce/gpg.key