[wplug] UPS with shutdown?

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Wed Sep 3 10:01:25 EDT 2003

Sometime in September Russ Schneider assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| Does there exist a UPS (uninteruptable power supply, not the brown guys)
| that will, when the power goes out, send a shutdown -h now signal to
| your machine?
|
| Power just went out here at my house for the first time in 5 years.
| Forced me to realize I should have a UPS.
|
| I just remember hearing somewhere that a UPS can shutdown your machine
| cleanly in the event of an outage.

i have one from belkin and we have a couple here at school from apc. the
cheaper ones are just batteries which are good for brownouts. what you need
is one with a serial or usb port on the back which can be used to
communicate with your computer. i believe apc comes with 'powerchute' which
works in linux. the belkin one i have at home was cheaper at the time and
it came with something called 'bulldog' which works well.

                                               | /"\
 john harrold                                  | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
      jmh at member.fsf.org                    |  X  against HTML mail
           the most useful idiot               | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless,
 whether the mad destruction is brought under the name of totalitarianism or
 the holy name of liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E