[wplug] SIOCSIFFLAGS: Invalid argument

Alexandros Papadopoulos apapadop at cmu.edu
Fri Oct 31 10:33:17 EST 2003

On Friday 31 October 2003 08:03, Bryon Gill wrote:
> I'm trying to run ifup eth0, and I'm getting the error
>
> SIOCSIFFLAGS: Invalid argument.
>
> What does this mean, and is there anything I can do
> about it?  I'm trying to use a VIA on-board LAN chip,
> the via-rhine module is loading and I'm using a 2.4.22
> kernel  under redhat 9.

This message can mean lots of things, from the incorrect driver inserted
to incorrect syntax in the ifconfig command.

Now, RH does things in its own special way, so I would suggest trying to
configure/activate you interface with the GUI provided (run "neat" as
root from a shell) and go from there.

If that doesn't provide any hints, check the scripts under
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ for something like ifcfg-eth0, to see if
any of the parameters captured there is incorrect.

If you're trying to connect to a DHCP network, you can just do
everything manually to narrow down the issue:

# ifconfig eth0 up
# dhclient eth0

If ifconfig complains, there is a driver issue. Check out
/etc/modules.conf for aliases for eth0, and /var/log/messages for error
messages from your NIC driver.

-A