[wplug] Re: Debian CDs

Brady Hunsaker bkh at member.fsf.org
Thu Oct 30 19:08:39 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-30 at 12:00, wplug-request at wplug.org wrote:

> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 08:00:46 -0500
> From: "Weber, Larry A" <laweber at switch.com>
> To: "'wplug at wplug.org'" <wplug at wplug.org>
> Subject: [wplug] Debian CD's
>
> I have been trying out different Linux Distros and would like to try Debian
> on my next machine.  From their site, I see that it is provided on 7 CD's
> (plus 7 more for the source).  Any Debian users out there who can help me
> understand why there are so many Debian CD's?  I also saw that the latest
> distro is nearly a year old.  Do you expect there will be a new one before
> the end of the year?
>
> -laweber

Others have sufficiently answered on the options for installation.  To
answer the question of the next release, Debian prides itself on not
releasing too early, which means they don't set official release target
dates.

Nevertheless, back in August the release manager floated the date of
December 1, 2003, which he admitted was an aggressive target:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2003/debian-devel-announce-200308/msg00010.html

At the beginning of October, another developer evaluated the current
status, concluding that they were about 14 days behind:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2003/debian-devel-200310/msg00018.html

My guess is that that's also probably optimistic.  I'm guessing the new
stable release will be in January or perhaps February.

Brady Hunsaker