[wplug] freevo, mythtv, etc

Benjamin Slavin bslavin_list at wavecrazy.net
Thu Oct 30 12:05:44 EST 2003

I tried Freevix [http://www.freevix.org/], which is based around Freevo,
shortly after it came out. It proved to be more headaches than I felt it
was worth, but am told that both Freevo and Freevix have come a long way
since then.

A friend of mine runs Freevo on Debian (Mandrake gave him some problems)
and seems to be very happy with the performance.

As I had only planned to use it for playback of music and and video
which I have on a network server, I just decided to make use of an X-Box
for my purposes. I had no problems with that, but it does require you to
purchase new hardware and a mod chip (which, are able to be installed
without soldering).

 --Ben