[wplug] Debian CD's

Gentgeen gentgeen at linuxmail.org
Wed Oct 29 18:45:04 EST 2003

To correct an earlier post, -- all 7 CD's are binary packages -- none are source.   You can check http://packages.debian.org/stable/allpackages.html to see all the packages available.  You will get every package on this page if you get all 7 disks.  I ordered all 7 disks since I only have a dial-up connection.  This way, every thing I need was at my fingertips.

Also commenting on an earlier post, Debian Stable (Woody) is great - but you won't get the latest/greatest features.  Mix&match is not to bad, but I did it and messed up my 'df' command.  (It gives false reading on the sizes, thought the system is still completely usable.)

As for if a new release is in the works before the end of the year, I really don't know, but from past experience, I doubt it.  It seems the Debian takes at least a year to upgrade the Stable/Unstable branches.

If you have some type of high-speed I would suggest you get the 1st CD (the only one needed for a basic install), then upgrade to Unstable (or downgrade depending on how you look at it).  What Debian calls unstable, most other distro's call a release version.  If you are on a dial-up (or even no network connection) I would suggest ordering the CD's.

I would even go so far as to suggest this to ANYONE looking at Linux who has a dial-up.  I have also used a number of other versions, but I found that I always had to download something to make my system work the way I wanted it to.  With Debian, everything I have ever needed has been on those CDs.

NOTE- and apt-get kicks butt (ya I know you can now use apt-get with RedHat, but why would you :-)