[wplug] Debian CD's

griffisb at bellsouth.net griffisb at bellsouth.net
Wed Oct 29 14:02:53 EST 2003

> From: "Weber, Larry A" <laweber at switch.com>
> Date: 2003/10/29 Wed AM 08:00:46 EST
> To: "'wplug at wplug.org'" <wplug at wplug.org>
> Subject: [wplug] Debian CD's
>
> I have been trying out different Linux Distros and would like to try Debian
> on my next machine.  From their site, I see that it is provided on 7 CD's
> (plus 7 more for the source).  Any Debian users out there who can help me
> understand why there are so many Debian CD's?  I also saw that the latest
> distro is nearly a year old.  Do you expect there will be a new one before
> the end of the year?
>
> -laweber

If you have a good Internet connection (DSL, Cable, ...) you can do an installation of Debian Stable just using the first CD in the bunch. After you go through the setup and tasksel the installation can download the rest.

If you don't mind running testing or unstable, you can edit your /etc/apt/sources file (thinks that's the one) and do an upgrade. I tried that as well, but for what I need right now - Stable works just fine.

I haven't done Debian on the desktop yet (tried, but preferred something else). I am running Debian Stable for sendmail/ipopd/squirrelmail and Apache. Funky thing with Debian, you can make an operational e-mail server on some pretty obsolete stuff.

And finally (okay - I talk too much) - you can download Knoppix 3.3 and install it to your harddrive. That will give you a Debian Testing/Unstable distribution that's already configured and ready to roll. That was a very simple install.