[wplug] OT?: Stargate to Earthlink Switch

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Wed Oct 29 07:21:36 EST 2003

Ryan W. Frenz wrote:
> I am currently using Stargate for DSL.  I get 1.5 M/128 K, a static IP,
> and 5 email addresses for $39.95 a month.  Yesterday, I received an
> email from them detailing the switch to Earthlink.  If I don't notify
> them by 11/7, I will (as of 11/14) pay Earthlink $49.95 for the same
> service minus the static IP.  This sucks.  Does anyone have any
> recommendations for somewhere else I can switch (comparable service and
> price)?  I notice Verizon's prices are lower (~$35), but I'm assuming
> the speeds are slower and no static IP.  Any experiences with (or
> recommendations for) providers would be appreciated (including cable).
> Thanks in advance,

http://www.city-net.com

These guys are a local company (based on the south side) and they're techno-
geeks themselves.  Typically, they're used to providing for companies, but
I believe they have a decent offering for consumer DSL as well.  Whether or
not they're price/speed competitive, I don't know, but I can guarantee they
won't give you any bullshit or runaround like Verizon or Adelphia will (I've
had bad experiences with both of those companies - like most large companies,
you can't get ahold of anyone worth talking to when things go wrong)

City-Net is different, you'll probably talk to Cherie when you call, tell
her I said "Hi".  If you're like me, and enjoy working with a local company,
you'll be happy with City-Net.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies