[wplug] OT?: Stargate to Earthlink Switch

Joe joe at portsys.net
Tue Oct 28 22:56:52 EST 2003

> I am currently using Stargate for DSL.  I get 1.5 M/128 K, a static
> IP, and 5 email addresses for $39.95 a month.  Yesterday, I received
> an email from them detailing the switch to Earthlink.  If I don't
> notify them by 11/7, I will (as of 11/14) pay Earthlink $49.95 for the
> same service minus the static IP.  This sucks.  Does anyone have any
> recommendations for somewhere else I can switch (comparable service
> and price)?  I notice Verizon's prices are lower (~$35), but I'm
> assuming the speeds are slower and no static IP.  Any experiences with
> (or recommendations for) providers would be appreciated (including
> cable).
> Thanks in advance,

No static with verizon, but the speeds are not slower. I believe they
are 1.5M down as well. Never actually saw it listed anywhere...  It's
fast though, no complaints from me. They also have really good
newsgroup access.

In fact, I'm almost positive stargate just buys their DSL off of
verizon.

As for cable.. I think you get like 3-6 months at $30 or something like
that.. then it shoots off into the $50-$60 range. No bandwidth cap
though... something like 3M down.

---
Joe Topjian
email: joe at portsys.net