[wplug] web programming

Russ Schneider russ at sugapablo.com
Tue Oct 28 10:29:45 EST 2003

Joe wrote:

> Just out of curiosity.. how does ASP compare to php?
> I've never touched it.. but thought someday I might just for kicks. The
> one thing I did notice while setting up a server for a client was that
> you can use mdb files without having an sql server running at all. I
> thought that would be handy.. but then again you can always use db or
> csv's with linux..

Well, they're comparable, and if ASP was the only game in town, it would
be fine.  But I do like PHP better.

For one, ASP itself can only do so much.  You need to use it with
another scripting language from the server side, such as VBScript to do
many of the computations.

One big plus for PHP for me is that I think the docs are much better.

Another big thing is that simple built in functions in PHP, require
large, prewritten scripts for ASP, many of which you have to pay for, of
course, such as PDF functionality.

A simple task such as uploading a file is a few line in PHP while it's a
  hundred or so lines in an include file for ASP.

It works fine, it's just....klunkier, IMHO.

Clients sometimes demand it though, and it helps keep me in projects.

--
[ Russ Schneider (a.k.a. Sugapablo)     ]
[ http://www.sugapablo.com <--music     ]