[wplug] web programming

Chris vze2f6h6 at verizon.net
Tue Oct 28 10:30:12 EST 2003

wplug-admin at wplug.org wrote:
>> I do a great deal of web deving because it's my job.  For clients I
>> use either PHP-JavaScript-SQL or ASP-VBScript-Javascript-SQL.
>
> Just out of curiosity.. how does ASP compare to php?
> I've never touched it.. but thought someday I might just for
> kicks. The
> one thing I did notice while setting up a server for a client
> was that
> you can use mdb files without having an sql server running at all. I
> thought that would be handy.. but then again you can always use db or
> csv's with linux..

I work with both ASP and PHP at work.  I can't tell you which one is faster
but PHP is a lot more flexible, powerful, and easier to work with.  ASP is
good if you just want to hit an access database for simple things and don't
want a SQL server running.  Don't get me wrong you can do a lot with ASP,
but it takes a lot more code to do it.  Oh, PHP can be a picky when running
it on a Windows machine.

Chris Romano