[wplug] MP3 or OGG-Vorbis recovery tool?

bgtrio at yahoo.com bgtrio at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 28 08:20:20 EST 2003

You definitely can not get the original waveform back once you've encoded
in mp3, just something that sounds like it to the human ear.  The
compression works by discarding (mostly) inaudible.  I've heard that
choral music doesn't compress as well as most rock music because the
layers of similar sounds are more important there, and a lot fo that
information is lost.  It's kind of like a movie facade- if you just look
at it from the front it looks real but once you get behind it you can see
that there's nothing inside it.  The trick is to make sure you only see it
from the front.

So long story short, the waveform you get from the mp3 or ogg compressed
file is quite different from the original, it just fools your ears.

If you want lossless compression try flac.

Bryguy

http://www.livejournal.com/~bryguypgh