[wplug] MP3 or OGG-Vorbis recovery tool?

Benjamin Slavin bslavin_list at wavecrazy.net
Mon Oct 27 14:48:59 EST 2003

I understand what you're saying, but still believe that it would be
possible (if computationally infeasible) to reverse the process.

Your JPEG example is one I had considered before my message, and I had
come to the conclusion that the file, when saved (even at 100%) is not
identical to the original image (which could be, say, PNG or TIFF). I
just ran a test, and even the color was changed there. The problem I see
is that it's identical to re-encoding a decoded MP3.

It is highly possible (and somewhat probable) that there's header
information in an MP3 file which would be difficult to recreate the
second time around. If not, perhaps a "watermarking" feature could be
used to add the information to the waveform in a way that would not
affect the audio quality, but would allow for a fast re-compression.
This would require tools to be specifically written, but in light of my
current situation, they'd be highly valuable.

--Ben

[...]