[wplug] MP3 or OGG-Vorbis recovery tool?

Benjamin Slavin bslavin_list at wavecrazy.net
Mon Oct 27 12:03:05 EST 2003

Good afternoon, folks.

I have run into a hard-drive failure, which has resulted in the loss of
a large number of [legal] MP3 and Ogg Vorbis files. As I'm currently
attending school, my physical CD collection resides in the other half of
the state, and will not be accessible for some time.

I do have a number of CDs which I burned from the MP3/Ogg files shortly
before the failure, and am wondering if there is any way to convert the
audio on the CDs back to their MP3 or Ogg formats -without- additional
loss of quality. Would encoding the stream with the exact same settings
produce the same output (I assume not)?

Any suggestions, insight, etc. are appreciated. If there are tools for
this, Linux would be the OS of choice, but I have easy access to OSX,
WinXP, and *BSD systems.

--Ben