[wplug] Mandrake 9.2 and LG writable opticals

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Mon Oct 27 09:40:14 EST 2003

Vanco, Don wrote:
> [...]

I just wanted to chime in because this is interesting.

Of course, because of the nature of a CD-ROM, it's possible that certain
commands (valid or invalid) could cause physical damage to the unit,
such as trying to position the laser at a track outside the range of its
allowed motion (like moving it to track -4000000 or something).

If this is the case, it's (in my opinion) a bug in both the CD controller
code in Mandrake, as well as the drive itself.  Obviously, the Mandrake
code should not tell the CD to do something that could damage it, but
neither should the CD actually attempt such an action.  As you point out,
Don, this hasn't been the way since the OLD monitors could be fried by
an improper mhz setting.  Any modern monitor I've seen will detect a
frequency out of range, and display a message (or at least refuse to
switch to a mode that will burn it out) and I think it should be
expected of any modern piece of hardware not to execute commands that
can cause damage.  Even a bug-free OS is capable of errors that could
cause it to temporarily send invalid commands.  You wouldn't expect that
a transient RAM failure could fry you floppy, CD, and HDD in one shot,
would you?

Not that it will help the poor souls who have fried CD-ROMs in the process
of finding this out, but it tells me not to purchase equipment from LG
Electronics.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies