[wplug] syslog messages, what do they mean.

James O'Kane jo2y at midnightlinux.com
Fri Oct 17 15:50:32 EDT 2003

This one time, at band camp, John Harrold said:
> the rc file i use to start up the iptables has the following line:
>

> $IPTABLES -A FORWARD -j LOG
>
> which i assume is responsible for the following line of output from
> 'iptables -L':
>
> LOG        all  --  anywhere             anywhere           LOG level

You are correct, and that says log everything that makes it that far in
the FORWARD chain.

> | is 123.456.678.987 a machine you control? Is it the firewall itself?
>
> this is an external machine which is connecting to the masq box.

It's an external machine, and both IP addresses listed are the same and
not the firewall's IP? Oh! Perhaps we're seeing the traffic post NAT
perhaps? Is the external machine connected via eth1?

Are we still trying to debug something or am I going on and on looking for
a problem that doesn't exist?

-james