[wplug] syslog messages, what do they mean.

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Fri Oct 17 14:53:14 EDT 2003

Sometime in October James O'Kane assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| This one time, at band camp, John Harrold said:
| > i guess my question is why is this being logged as opposed to regular ssh
| > traffic which doesn't appear to be logged.
|
| I'm not sure about that without seeing your firewall rules. Do you have
| any that are -j LOG ? I'm guessing that this is in your FORWARD chain (or
| a userdefined chain that FORWARD 'jumps' to.) because I think that's the
| only one where an IN and an OUT are available.

the rc file i use to start up the iptables has the following line:

$IPTABLES -A FORWARD -j LOG

which i assume is responsible for the following line of output from
'iptables -L':

LOG        all  --  anywhere             anywhere           LOG level

| is 123.456.678.987 a machine you control? Is it the firewall itself?

this is an external machine which is connecting to the masq box.

                                               | /"\
 john harrold                                  | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
      jmh at member.fsf.org                    |  X  against HTML mail
           the most useful idiot               | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless,
 whether the mad destruction is brought under the name of totalitarianism or
 the holy name of liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E