[wplug] [OT] Anyone else notice DSL service degradation?

Alexandros Papadopoulos apapadop at cmu.edu
Sun Oct 12 21:53:42 EDT 2003

I'm on Verizon DSL in Oakland, Pittsburgh, and since last week I'm
having trouble connecting (takes 2-3 tries to succeed), I get random
disconnects, and my overall bandwidth seems to have been halved,
typically peaking at 80KB/s.

The previous situation was: Instant connectivity with first try, very
rare disconnects (2-3 per month, maybe), and download speeds over
160KB/s.

I haven't changed anything with my configuration (using Debian's pppoe
3.5-3), and other connections (wired + wireless Ethernet) are fine!

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this? Are there any tests/metrics for
the PPP link with my local office?

Thanks

-A