[wplug] email viruses

Joe Topjian joe at portsys.net
Fri Oct 3 16:50:32 EDT 2003

> Anyone else notice their email server getting slammed with virus email
> this AM?
> Surprisingly, my qmail server is keeping up with all this, and only
> one xp laptop has been infected.

I first noticed a (excuse my language) shitload of spam a couple weeks
ago when the new wave of windows viruses first started coming around.
Couple people on this list said some of those viruses cause the clients
computer to become an open relay which made sense because 80% of the
spam was coming from dialup pools.

Long story short, a local RBL was not cutting it anymore and I've since
switched to spamassassin. I'm using it with qmail and qmail-scanner
which has also been running clamscan (virus scanner). In the past 24
hours, there have been 27000 spam and virus ridden emails caught. Mail
server hasnt flinched  :)

(over 300 hosted domains.. cant even begin to count the email
addresses..)

---
Joe Topjian
email: joe at portsys.net