[wplug] Web eMail Link Mozilla

Andrew Biggadike biggadike at cmu.edu
Fri Oct 3 08:34:31 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 02:34, Bob Schmertz wrote:
> >It would also be interesting to figure out what a browser that:
> >- has no native mail component
>
> Like IE?

Yeah, but on almost every machine that has IE preinstalled, there is
also a MS mail client installed (Outlook/Outlook Express) that they are
trying to force you to use.  It's probably just as difficult to get IE
to load another mail client (instead of Outlook) as it is to get
Firebird to load Evolution (or some other).

> Maybe prompt for the path to an application that can handle it?  If the
> Mosex plugin can handle it, why isn't that put straight into Firebird?

My take on this is that Firebird, from the outset, was designed to be a
lean version of the Mozilla browser.  So, why not let extras be handled
by these easy to install extensions, which is what they were designed
for.  In this case, I guess it comes down to whether you view mailto
links as "extras".

Andrew