[wplug] Web eMail Link Mozilla

Bob Schmertz rschmertz at speakeasy.net
Fri Oct 3 02:34:39 EDT 2003

Alexandros Papadopoulos incurred the wrath of Bob on Oct 2, by saying

>On Thursday 02 October 2003 18:01, Bob Schmertz wrote:
>> Andrew Biggadike incurred the wrath of Bob on Oct 2, by saying
>>
>> >Without the extension you receive an Alert pop-up box saying "mailto
>> > is not a registered protocol."
>>
>> Ouch!  Can you say "b0rken"?
>
>I can say version 0.6.1 - things are bound to be incomplete.

Good point -- although I've gotten to the point where I don't pay a
whole lot of attention to version numbers; a lot of pieces of softwre
and libraries out there have been crucial components of Linux OSes or
apps for years, and still haven't reached 1.0.  And I was surprised to
hear of its incompleteness, given the ringing endorsements from
characters who are anything but Open Source True Believers.

>It would also be interesting to figure out what a browser that:
>- has no native mail component

Like IE?

>- has no knowledge of the OS it's running on

A Firebird compiled for Linux knows it's running on Linux.  Maybe you're
talking about extra frills it could use, such as the facilities provided
by a GNOME or a KDE?

>- has no knowledge of other applications available
>should do, when someone clicks on a mailto: component.

Maybe prompt for the path to an application that can handle it?  If the
Mosex plugin can handle it, why isn't that put straight into Firebird?

--
Cheers,
Bob Schmertz