[wplug] Home Server Follies

Christopher Galik chris at cardiactelecom.com
Wed Oct 1 15:22:33 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 14:47, Pete Butler wrote:
> Thank you very much; that did indeed get my server back on line.  (May I
> ask how you figured out to use those settings?)

The Adelphia DHCPd provided my client with them.  Try:

grep -i 'DOMAIN=' /etc/dhcpc/dhcpcd-eth0.info &&
grep -i 'DNS=' /etc/dhcpc/dhcpcd-eth0.info

> Unfortunately, now I'm having trouble getting the computers using that
> gateway to connect properly.  Is there anything else you had to do to the
> server, for DHCP or anything else?  Or (at the risk of going well
> off-topic) am I going to have to do something esoteric with the settings on
> my windows boxes trying to use the gateway?

Actually, I run a resolving/caching nameserver on my gateway machine.
So, for example, all my machines use 192.168.0.1 as their gateway and
DNS servers.  192.168.0.1 runs bind and gets information on hosts that
it doesn't recognize from Adelphia's DNS servers, which are configured
automatically by DHCPCd in /etc/resolv.conf.

Or, you could just set the DNS servers on the windows machines to the
Adelphia ones and set their gateway to be your gateway machine.

-c.

--
 Christopher Galik <chris at cardiactelecom.com>
 Cardiac Telecom Corp. -- 1.800.355.2594 x144