[wplug] Home Server Follies

Pete Butler pete.butler at adelphia.net
Wed Oct 1 14:47:50 EDT 2003

At 10:13 AM 10/1/2003, you wrote:
>On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 09:51, Pete Butler wrote:
> > So, my question is, what do I need to do to reconfigure my Linux server to
> > be dynamically picking up the DNS settings off DHCP?
>
>I too run a Linux server as my gateway to Adelphia's cable modem service
>at home.  The way it is set up there, DHCPC automagically replaces the
>resolv.conf file with one that includes the servers taken from the DHCP
>server.  If your dhcpc does not do that for some reason, here is a copy
>of my resolv.conf, it should work for you as well.
>
>-- CUT --
>
>nameserver 68.168.160.2
>nameserver 68.168.160.5
>search pittpa.adelphia.net
>
>-- CUT --
>
>Just put that in /etc/resolv.conf and you should be good to go.  If this
>is already there, then... well... something's up. =)
>
>-c.
>--
>  Christopher Galik <chris at cardiactelecom.com>
>  Cardiac Telecom Corp. -- 1.800.355.2594 x144

Christopher --

Thank you very much; that did indeed get my server back on line.  (May I
ask how you figured out to use those settings?)

Unfortunately, now I'm having trouble getting the computers using that
gateway to connect properly.  Is there anything else you had to do to the
server, for DHCP or anything else?  Or (at the risk of going well
off-topic) am I going to have to do something esoteric with the settings on
my windows boxes trying to use the gateway?

-- Pete Butler