[wplug] Home Server Follies

Pete Butler pete.butler at adelphia.net
Wed Oct 1 09:51:24 EDT 2003

Hello.

I've been using a Linux box as the gateway/firewall server on my home
network -- the Linux box gets the cable modem, all the other machines in my
home use it as the gateway.

I had it set up to run with Comcast, but my wife and I just moved, and
wound up having to switch to Adelphia.  It worked fine for a few days, but
spontaneously conked out on me yesterday.  My theory for what happened goes
like this:

The problem seems to be DNS-related; I can't get any names to
resolve.  Comcast required that I manually enter the addresses for the DNS
servers, where Adelphia wants me to get them via DHCP.  I'm still set to
look at Comcast's DNS servers, but somebody at Comcast finally flipped a
switch telling me to stop freeloading and look elsewhere.

So, my question is, what do I need to do to reconfigure my Linux server to
be dynamically picking up the DNS settings off DHCP?

(And yes, I am quite certain it's a problem with my Linux server, not the
network.  When I plug the cable modem directly into the Win2K laptop I'm
using right now, I can get online.  This isn't a long-term solution, unless
I want to use the laptop as the gateway, which I'm really not interested in
doing.)

Thanks for any help or advice you can offer, even if it's just an RTFM with
the location of the appropriate FM.

-- Pete Butler