[wplug] Linux/Windows Dual Boot System Setup

Phil sublime78ska at comcast.net
Sat Nov 29 07:59:04 EST 2003

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 07:34:53 -0500, The Wall's mail
<wall.family at comcast.net> wrote:

> As a Linux novice (and I mean novice), I'm looking for detailed
> instructions on how to set up a dual boot Linux/Windows system.
> Recommendations on which versions of Linux and Windows work best
> together would also be of help.  A website address with most or all of
> this would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Jef Wall

I have two PC's with W2K and WinME on it, one with an 80gb harddrive and
the other with two 30gb harddrives.  I installed Mankdrake Linux.  The
install created the partitions and updated the boot sector so I could boot
into either OS.  If I chose Windows, then the windows boot selector would
come up giving me the choice between W2K and WinME.  If I chose Linux,
Linux would boot.  IIRC, the first thing I did was to defragment the drive
so there would be a large area of unused disk.

The distro-specific mailing lists probably will provide a lot of help with
installation.  I know the mandrake lists did for me.

Phil
and Mandrake Linux 9.2: www.mandrakesoft.com