[wplug] Mandrake 9.2 root not able to chmod.

Burt E Reany breany at csc.com
Tue Nov 25 10:37:26 EST 2003

  Most interesting.  I installed Mandrake 9.2 as a second OS on a box with
an existing Windoz system - when i logged into 9.2 as a user, I didn't have
permission to look at the Windoz file system in /mnt. (it was owned by root
with 740 permissions.).  I did an su - root, and a chmod 777 /mnt/(windoz)
with no errors  - but it maintained the 740 permission. fstab showed
"defaults" as options. Users still couldn't see the FAT32 files.
  This behaviour seems overly potty trained to me, - but it's more likely
that i'm simply too limited to understand why root shouldn't be able to set
the permissions to allow access to a Windoz filesystem.

  (Gadzooks - might Bill Gates have wrested control of chmod.c away from
the FSF? I feel a new family of conspiracy theories congealing out of the
mist).

Any ideas on opening these permissions (or info on where the fstab
"defaults" resides) would be appreciated.

Thanx.

for such purpose.