[wplug] Linux Certification Interest

James O'Kane jo2y at midnightlinux.com
Fri Nov 21 13:58:31 EST 2003

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003, Vanco, Don wrote:

> Not to rain on your parade, but a couple points:
> 1) Current Red Hat curriculum and certification is based on / aimed at Red
> Hat 9 - as far as I know there's no immediate plans to alter the course
> content to reflect the Enterprise product line even though it makes a great
> deal of sense given that there is no longer a Red Hat Linux.  That being
> said - the differences between RHEL 3 (which one would hope is what you're
> teaching as 2.1 is now somewhat deprecated) and RH9 are minimal.

When they changed the numbering scheme, I emailed them asking when my
certificate would expire because they claimed it would be good for 2 major
number changes. I can't find the exact quote from them I'm looking for,
but what I got out of it is, RHL and RHEL are basically the same thing,
with RHEL having a slower release cycle. Certificate expriation dates were
then changed to be based on the version of RHEL in existance at the time
of the exam. Ie. I took what was the RH 7.3 exam, but RHEL 2.1 was out, so
my certificate expires when RHEL 4.0 is released.

https://www.redhat.com/training/rhce/rhce_faq.html#current

I'm not disagreeing with you, Don, I'm just hopefully clarifying things?

> 3) HTML email sucks

I concur.

-james