[wplug] fetchmail-postfix-smtp problem

kiesling+ at pitt.edu kiesling+ at pitt.edu
Thu Nov 20 14:12:02 EST 2003

I upgraded my evolution, fetchmail, and postfix on my gentoo laptop yesterday. Bad idea. Fetchmail is not working, and it has to do with SMTP listening (I think) but I'm still too much of a novice to know exactly how to fix it, even after some searching on the net. Here is what happens when I "fetchmail -v" (just the end of it):

reading message kiesling at imap.pitt.edu:1 of 38 (1160 header octets)
fetchmail: smtp listener protocol error
fetchmail: smtp listener protocol error
fetchmail: SMTP connect to localhost failed
fetchmail: IMAP> A0007 LOGOUT
fetchmail: IMAP< )
fetchmail: IMAP< A0006 OK Completed
fetchmail: IMAP< * BYE LOGOUT received
fetchmail: IMAP< A0007 OK Completed
fetchmail: SMTP transaction error while fetching from imap.pitt.edu
fetchmail: 6.2.3 querying imap.pitt.edu (protocol IMAP) at Thu Nov 20 11:38:37 2003: poll completed
fetchmail: Query status=10 (SMTP)
fetchmail: normal termination, status 10

I know nothing about SMTP, and little on the net documents what to do with it using Postfix. Can anyone suggest something?

Thanks
Scott