[wplug] (OT) Laptop Durability

john at simplykiwi.com john at simplykiwi.com
Wed Nov 19 11:32:00 EST 2003

I've been using an IBM Thinkpad T21 for about two and a half years now,
with no problems at all. I purchased it refurbished from IBM directly, and
it was delivered quickly and in excellent condition. A few of the letters
were worn a bit, but this certainly isn't something to be bothered by.
Also, it runs linux very well.

I'm especially pleased by the amount of technical documentation available
directly from IBM for each of their laptops. I was able to obtain all the
documentation that a service technician would need to do whatever repairs
necessary, including replacing the hard drive.

On other models, I've had bad experience with Toshiba satellite series and
Dell Latitudes. Though I do treat my laptop very well, it's sustained
quite a few falls that have destroyed the fans in Dells, and Toshibas. I
suspect this is to be attributed to the construction and materials. It's
obvious from holding and examining the different models that the IBM one
is solidly constructed with a hefty bit of metal, while the other models
have gone the way of plastic.

Best of luck to you in finding something suitable.