[wplug] processes that won't die

Frank W. Holden Jr. frank.holden at comcast.net
Tue Nov 18 12:13:50 EST 2003

Hi Russ. My question to you is "Are you in a directory on the mount
point or any place else?". If anyplace else then there should be no
reason for the drive to hang the umount unless there is actually
something trying to get/put data from/to that point. Make sure of whom
is logged into the machine. They could be using the drive. You may
also have a program trying to access something on the drive.

I have found most of the time when I can not umount a drive that I am
someplace within the mount point tree. "Operator Error!" Can one say
DAH! The thing is that most CDROM drives have the ability to lock the
drive door shut, so retrieving the CD isn't impossible, but next to it
while the system is running. So, pressing the eject button shouldn't
do a thing. At least until the OS has been halted.

Hope this helps!
Frank