[wplug] processes that won't die

Keir Josephson keirj at pastadish.com
Mon Nov 17 19:26:07 EST 2003

On Nov 17, 2003, at 4:31 PM, Kuzman Ganchev wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 04:21:46PM -0500, Bill Moran wrote:
>> Additionally ... I wouldn't rule out the possibility that the CD-ROM
>> itself
>> has bugs/problems.
>>
>> Did I understand your correctly, that sometimes pushing the button on
>> the
>> drive caused it to fail to eject?  That sounds like hardware to me.
>
> This happens for me while the device is mounted, but not when it's not
> mounted. I think there's something the OS can set on the drive, so that
> a user doesn't eject in the middle of a read or something.

Yeah, I've seen this, too, but it's usually been on HP-UX while using
PFS to mount and unmount the cd-rom. I haven't found a way to get rid
of the process other than a reboot. The problem turned out to be the
result of me over-using the autocomplete function with the bash shell.
Every now and then I would try to unmount the drive without remembering
to remove the trailing slash (i.e. /mnt/cdrom/ vs. /mnt/cdrom). That
would cause the drive to hang everytime.

-Keir