[wplug] processes that won't die

Russ Schneider russ at sugapablo.com
Mon Nov 17 15:10:31 EST 2003

Once in a while, my CD-ROM goes dead.  You press the eject button and
you hear a sound, like it's about ready to eject, but it doesn't.

99% of the time, if I type eject /mnt/cdrom, it opens just fine and
there's no problem.

But occasionally, like just a minute ago, i'll type eject and it will
just hang there.  In fact, every 2 minutes or so, the computer will hang
for a three count.

I try to kill the eject process, and even with -9, it won't die.

I looked at the parent pid and notices it was 1 or init.

Now, sometimes when a process won't die, I kill the parent and it's ok.
  Usually, that parent simply turns out to be bash or something.

But the direct parent of a command i typed turned out to be 1 (init).
I'm not certain what it will do, but I don't think I should be trying a
kill -9 1.

Can anybody shed any light on this?  Only thing I knew to do was to
reboot (I'm so ashamed).  It fixes it.  In fact, you can actually hear
the CD-ROM reset when it reboots.

Specs: Dell Dimension 8100, Mandrake 9.1.

--
[ Russ Schneider (a.k.a. Sugapablo)     ]
[ http://www.sugapablo.com <--music     ]